The Oti Regional Security Council Members led by the Minister Hon. Joshua Makubu, visited some victims of the Kpassa gas cylinder fire incident including the deceased families to sympathize with them and to assure them their support and the way forward.
The Minister extended his deepest condolences and that of the Regional Co-ordinating Council to the bereaved families saying, “…we stand with you in this difficult period of grief.”
“Investigations are still on-going and it is my cherished hope that we show circumspection in our commentary on this tragic event, in order not to hurt the sensibilities of the affected families and friends”, the minister further said in his Statement.
While commiserating with the affected families, he urged all cylinder users, especially domestic users, to keep it safely at all times and observe the various fire safety protocols to bring the carnage under control.
Four persons, Sei Mathew, 33, Tabilin Jacob, the landlord and his wife died while others were injured. The minister presented GH¢ 3,000 to deceased families and GH¢ 2,000 to those receiving treatments.
He commended the staff of the hospitals for the prompt attention they gave to the injured and urged them to continue to render such services to save lives.
The Regional Minister said to prevent similar accidents in future, the regional fire service would soon meet to discuss the issue for the district commands to educate their people to take precautions when using gas at their homes.
Dr. Asomma Kubire Executive Officer of the Hospital who conducted the Regional Minister and members of the Oti Regional Security Committee (REGSEC) round the wards, said 7 of the victims were on admission with six in a critical condition.
He said majority of the victims had severe injuries and burnt adding that six had been referred to Tamale and Nkwanta then later transported to Kumasi Komfo Anokye and Accra even before some passed on.
On the late hours of Saturday, 6th August 2022, there was a gas cylinder linkage in a suburb of Kpassa leading to domestic fire where seven innocent people were burnt leaving four dead and four others injured.
The injured were receiving treatment at the St. Joseph Hospital in Nkwanta, Somacas Medical Centre in Kpassa and Korle-Bu.
The main cause of the fire is yet to be known by the Oti Regional Fire Command and investigation has commenced.
The Minister was accompanied by Regional Fire Commander, ACFO Billy, NIB Commander, Kingsley Agingo, Reg. Police Commander’s Rep. Mohammed Tanko Yusif, Safety officer, ADOF Benjamin Gbekly, Investigation Officer, Addo Samuel Annan, Reg. Crime Officer, Chief Sup. Joe Oppong, Nkwanta South MCE, Hon. Bright Lenwah and some others.
The Regional Fire Commander, ACFO Billy, on his part, expressed his heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families.
He said from all the narrations given by the victims, it was clear that the fault of the accident was preventable.
He assured that his outfit will continue to pursue measures that will ensure the comfort, safety and education of domestic fire management.
The Nkwanta North Chief Executive Kidignang William who welcomed the minister and his delegation gave an account of how the accident occurred suggesting that the incident was due a human error.
Meanwhile, the Nkwanta South MCE Honorable Bright Lenwah made a donation of GH¢1,000 to Sei Mathew, a deceased family who’s jurisdiction falls under the Nkwanta South Municipality though the tragedy happened in the Nkwanta North District. He also deposited an amount of GH¢ 2,000 to support one of the victims, Tabilin John who’s receiving treatment at St. Joseph hospital Nkwanta.